1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks 2 weeks different in age...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TerryH, Apr 8, 2016.

1. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Good evening everyone. In order to get the breeds that we want we are going to be getting some chicks that are 1-2 weeks tomorrow and some that are 2 days old on Tuesday. Will there an issue with them all being in the same brooder? Suggestions on the best way to go about integrating them?

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    You may or may not have an issue. Chicks double in size every week, so the older chicks will be substantially larger than the 2 day olds and they may pick on them. If you have a big enough brooder with plenty of things to attract the older chicks' interest, then you may not have as much of a problem.

3. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply. I've made a refrigerator box into a brooder. It's a little over 3'x3'. I can made it 3'x6' if I need to. 12 chicks total. I'm putting in some things for them to climb on, rocks and such.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Apparently shiny things like marbles and hand mirrors can also function as distractions.

5. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Thanks. We have both so I'll use those as well.

6. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Good news today. We were able to forgo the older chicks. The hatchery has more of the breeds we wanted hatching tomorrow so we are going to pick those chicks up on Tuesday when we pick up the others so the flock will all be within a day of the same age. Very cool that Tuesday is my wife's birthday as well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by