1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks 8+ weeks FIGHTING

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katharine, Jul 19, 2007.

1. katharine

katharine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    I have two chickens. Today they started seriously fighting-grabbing beaks, pulling out feathers. All quite violently with some bloody scrapes. We do not know what kind they are or how old but think 8-9 weeks. They are a bit bigger than a big pigeon. The main problem is that one of them is smaller and has a very crooked neck (and thus sort of floppy). We are afraid for him/her. He now has been resting on my lap for hours.
    We have a small movable cage and a large one but when they are separated and not with us they cry. Help. We love them and are afraid and unsure.

katharine

p.s. anyone had a chicken with this crooked neck?

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    My quess is that they are fighting over who gets to be your mate![​IMG] Put one in each cage and go buy a peice of plexi-glass to put inbetween them. That way they can be close to eachother, but not get hurt. Also you could put a small stuffed animal in each cage for them to cuddle with. I'm afraid that they just can't be together in the same cage. Hope this helps.

3. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by