chicks 8

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katharine, Jul 19, 2007.

1. katharine

katharine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    I have two chickens. Today they started seriously fighting-grabbing beaks, pulling out feathers. All quite violently with some bloody scrapes. We do not know what kind they are or how old but think 8-9 weeks. They are a bit bigger than a big pigeon. The main problem is that one of them is smaller and has a very crooked neck (and thus sort of floppy). We are afraid for him/her. He now has been resting on my lap for hours.
    We have a small movable cage and a large one but when they are separated and not with us they cry. Help. We love them and are afraid and unsure.

katharine

p.s. anyone had a chicken with this crooked neck?

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    is it a crooked neck or limp neck?? There is a limp neck that is curable--I would do an internet seach and read up on it.

Definatley separate them if they have exposed wounds. If you just put them together then they have to determine a pecking order--you can try putting them in a separate cages and placing them next to each other -kind of like you would if you were introducing new hens....

Are they roosters?

3. katharine

katharine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    His/her neck is crooked and because of that his/her head sort of hangs down and some time even twists to upside down.

The chicks are siblings and grew up together. We don't know if male or female.

katharine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by