chicks about to hatch..how do i feed them?

bassfishrman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
i have a hen sitting on 5 eggs that should hatch anyday. When they hatch how will they be fed? If I put feed and water just outside the nest, will the hen bring them to it? My hen and eggs are about 20 inches off the ground. Will the hen help them get out without them falling?

you can put out chick starter for the hen an her chicks.she will teach them how to eat.you need tobe watching for them to hatch an move them to a gound nest because they may fall out of your high nest.you may want to put her in pen to herself.

Is this the bantam hen sitting on the standard eggs you posted about earlier? I just had a bantam go broody today, and was thinking about letting her sit on some eggs. None of the bantam eggs are fertile. At least I don't think they are. I have a standard rooster and he I have never seen him mate with the bantams. but they adore him and follow him around like he is a king. The standard hens, though, he really goes for them. Please, let us know how the hatch turns out. I am going to collect eggs for the next couple of days and put her by herself for awhile. And just see what happens.

Freebie,
I walked out first thing this AM to check my broody bantam. I gently lifted her and saw one of the five eggs had hatched during the night....but no chick! My first fear was that a snake had eaten it. I lifted the mom a little higher and a yellow chick fell from under her tail feathers. It is doing fine. There are now 4 eggs from my RIR under my new bantam mom. She should be hatching the rest any time. Good luck with yours.

That is so awesome. Thanks, I still have not decided what I am going to do. I took the eggs last night and today she was up again. I am going to check on her a little later, and see if she is sitting again. Then I will decide what to do. I know I am going to wait at least till friday or saturday and collect some fresh eggs for her to sit on. That should leave me 10-12 to choose from. I am a little excited about it. but don't want to overdo the excitement as I am not real sure if she is totally broody. I am just going to leave the bantam eggs for her and collect the standard eggs for the next few days

Back
Top Bottom