chicks acting a bit off

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jun 18, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Hi there!
    I have 3 one week old silkie chicks, and 6 three week old silkie chicks. This is my first time raising chicks, and I have tried to educate myself as much as possible....still though, i get nervous. today for instance, they have behaved completely different then any other day. they are always a peppy group, always running around, eating and drinking, pecking and shuffling the shavings all over the place. but today everyone is somber, really quiet and laying around. Should I be worried? they eat whenever I add more to the feeder, its quite exciting for them lol i raised the water up slightly on a block to avoid all the shavings, i was afraid they would dehydrate if it got all clogged in the night or something. They dont seem too hot, or too cold, just lazy. They have a super clean brooder, and lots of attention, im so nervous! any ideas? Thanks so much

2. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    anyone?

3. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    they eat whenever I add more to the feeder, its quite exciting for them lol

kaitlyn,

Chicks do sleep alot. Just the fact that they eat whenever you feed is a very good sign of healthy chicks.
    Scramble 1 egg for them for a treat and mince it in tiny pieces. That should be fun to watch!
    It sounds as if you are doing everything just fine. They have plenty of room to move away from the heat, right?
    Try moving the heater a little further away. The heat may be making them lethargic. They can always huddle for warmth and will peep, loudly, if they can't get warm.
    I think a cool chick is a healthier chick than a hot chick and it is June. You'll have less pasty butt, also.

I just raised 2 brooder batches and and there were noticable differences based on the light/heater.

The 1st batch I used a lizard light 125W heat emitter. Those chicks slept from dusk to dawn, in the dark.
    No jumping around, eating & peeping all night long. Just as if they would do under a hen. They were more active during the day.
    They are about 15 weeks old now go into their coop at dusk and settle right in.

The 2nd batch, I used a 125W red heat lamp/light. These chicks were up & down all night and all day, whenever they wanted. Sleep, eat, poop and peeping all night long.

These chicks are 10 weeks old now, outside in a rabbit hutch and are still afraid to go into the enclosed area at night, in the dark. They have to have a 12w UV on at dusk until they settle in for the night.

The next time I hatch, it will be with a "heat emitter" no light in the brooder.
    Good luck with them!

Brenda in PA​

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Oh wow, what a big difference! Thanks for the reply! I never dreamed id get so wrapped up in these little guys! They make you worry! thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by