1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks acting funny after sulmet dosage?!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by icemanchicken, Apr 20, 2011.

1. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    I had some chicks that had cocci like sypmtoms and was told by a friend to give them sulmet. I have several brooders in the same room so i just put a little in each waterer just to be safe. It seems like minutes later i had chicks that were perfectly fine start acting weird. One chick had water bubbling out of its mouth, and another turkey poult was acting like he could hardly stand at all. I know the sulmet fizzes when mixed with the water could this be the cause of the weird behavior?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Sorry not to post in a while but here is an update. NO chickens lost! After doing some deep thinking (in the bathroom lol) I remembered that i put the sulmet in the waterer and when i started spraying it the water fizzed. After i went back out and checked there were no funny side effects. Since then i replaced bedding every 24 hours and isolated the sickest 5 just to keep them from getting trampled. And last but not least i did full research before treating i gave the proper dosage and was unable to obtain corrid. Thanks for the links everyone on this site is always eager to help and I read on here everyday just trying to learn all i can!

4. CCC luv

CCC luv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    OMG, I have three sick 2 mos. old chick's that I started on Sulmet today! and I only have medicated chick feed before I get paid again....But I also bought Amprol just in case but ended up giving them Sulmet because it treated more stuff and easier to figure outdosage and that's what some people said to get and I'm new at this...So WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW? STOP SULMET AND GIVE THE THE AMPROL AND IF SO COULDSOMEONE PLEASE help me with THE DOSAGE FOR A HALF GAL. as I only have 3 chicks and also is it ok to give with the medicated chick feed???? The one with bloody poo...her poo became brown again just a little while ago but she is still fluffed out and pale comb and tail dropped and now starting head jerks.....PLEASE SOMEONE ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO NEXT?

5. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    but desperately need help with the Amprol powder dosage information for a half gallon!!!! any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I posted on the other thread you posted your question on. These are all old threads, you might get faster responses if you start a new thread of your own when you have questions.

1 person likes this.
  7. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    I'm new on here and not quite sure how to start a new thread and thank you for responding, I appreciate your help! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by