1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks afraid of hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenyan318, Jul 10, 2016.

1. jenyan318

jenyan318 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Merrimack NH
    Newbie here just looking for some advice. How long do chicks usually stay with mother hens? Our hen has 4 week old chicks who she's been a great mother to. Sadly, one died and ever since, she's not so kind to them and they're afraid to be around her. I will keep them separated from her as long as they aren't safe but I wondered if anyone knew if there was anything I can do.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Anything you can do to what? Change the broody hen's mind? Not a chance. Probably she's rejecting the chicks because they no longer need her. They are feathered out and able to get on fine without her, and four weeks is about average for a broody to nurture her chicks then move on back to her former life.

I would suggest rigging up a panic room for the chicks if you feel they may be in any danger from this adult hen or others. It would follow that if this broody is finished with her chicks, she also isn't interested in protecting them from the other adults. A panic room will allow your chicks to find safety when they need it. Food and water inside the panic room assures they won't need to compete for them, risking not getting enough to eat.

If you haven't heard of the panic room method of integrating chicks, it's simply any enclosure with entrances that the adults won't fit. For pictures and a more thorough explanation, I cover it in my article linked below on outdoor brooding.

1 person likes this.
  3. jenyan318

jenyan318 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Merrimack NH
    Thank you for your advice. Our hen and her 6 chicks are all we have so there are no other adults to worry about. We did have a rooster who was killed by a neighbor's rogue dog. We've since taken extra precautions to protect them further from digging etc. I don't know what rejection usually looks like for a hen toward her chicks but she actually killed one and injured another. I am heartbroken. She now has no access to them whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by