Chicks afraid of mealworms!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by llaaadyel, May 13, 2011.

1. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Well here I thought I was doing something really special for my 22 polish and 3 wyandottes. While picking up some things at the local pet store I bought a jar of small mealworms thinking they would go crazy for them. Well the ones that didn't run from them, pecked a bit and then gave up. Maybe they are too young. They are all 6 weeks old. Either that or I have chicken chickens. [​IMG]

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks have been eating them since two weeks old but I give them the live ones. I think they are more enticing because there is movement. They will learn to eat them in time. I have a broody momma to teach mine, although I think they were all over the idea even without her help [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Some catch on faster than others. The orps I hatched didn't seem to like mealworms at all for a while but the polish I hatched went nuts for them the very first time they saw any. Both were around 2 weeks old the first time I offered them.

They'll come around. Just give them a few now and then and eventually they'll mob you when they think you have any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by