Chicks after hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken pickin, Dec 16, 2012.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I was just wondering because so many people do hatch after hatch after hatch, what do you do with all the continuous chicks, do you already have a plan like homes found, or do you keep them, eat them, or give them away? Im only wondering because its winter and im sure people dont like to brood through winter. I have a batch due to hatch Christmas Eve and Im really enjoying the process and want to set another batch right after Christmas.I just dont want to jump the gun and end up with tons of chicks I cant find homes for.

So Far I have placed an ad on craisglist and today I am going post an ad at our local TSC. I have a grow out pen lined up from a friend just incase I need to raise them and sell them later come spring as pullets and cockrels. Any other tips on finding homes for the newly hatched chicks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    ALWAYS have a plan for chicks BEFORE they hatch. I offer my hatching services locally at no charge because I LOVE to hatch but cannot keep all the chicks. Hatching is a wonderfully fun and rewarding hobby as long as it's done responsibly.

3. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Exactly. That is what I was thinking. I dont want to start hatching more than I can handle. This is only my first hatch (test hatch for my new incubator) I mainly got it for my turkeys eggs come spring so I can hatch many poults and sell them. I will also hatch chicks from my own stock. I definitely know to be responsible and only hatch what I can house if I cant rehome. But I was hoping people had a few other Ideas on finding homes.

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am doing a test hatch also. All set to hatch in 2 days.

I traded my future chicks for eggs here.

There are lots of people who want chicks.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we hatch October - June. Fall and winter chicks are spring egg layers and are more in demand, same for ducks. They sell for more, but people are buying because they are POL or laying.

Some are kept because we try and turn over the flocks every 2-3 years for hens

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I figured chicks now would be more in demand since hatcheries arent shipping right now and like said above chicks now are spring layers. People that wait to get spring chicks have to wait til late summer/fall for eggs and then they stop laying come winter. I hope I get a few bites from my craisglist ad. Since im not selling eatting eggs right now I was hoping to make a few dollars off of the chicks to provide money for feed and shavings for the rest of my flocks. I guess time will tell. But I will take any more tips on advertising chicks.

7. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I've made some great contacts at my local feed store -with the employees! I had been "talking chicken" with various workers and found out that most of them have chickens (lots of chickens) of their own. I've been able to re-home some of my silkie cockerels to great homes. And the bonus is that I get to see pictures and hear follow-up reports on how they are doing.

Also, your feed store(s) may let you post information on a bulletin board and hook you up with people that are looking for spring layers. It is no competition for them because they probably aren't selling chicks right now anyway.

I'm incubating my first silkie eggs from my own silkies right now....a whopping 6 little eggs. I can't wait to see if they're developing in a few days.
    [​IMG] HAPPY HATCHING

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we sell through a local feed store as well as direct from the farm. Its a win win as he doesnt have to place large chick orders all the time, we have breeds the hatcheries dont, plus ducks and geese

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by