Chicks all dying!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swtmarine, Aug 20, 2008.

1. swtmarine

swtmarine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I hatched 2 strong energetic chicks. At 3 days old, one of them started to fall asleep constantly then was dead by the end of the day. Now the other chick is 7 days old and is showing the same symptoms. What can I do? Just yesterday he was running around being a pushy little chick and now I think he's dying. What happened here? Does anyone know what I can do to save him?

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Are they on medicated chick start? If not, I'd dose them for coccidyoisis (sp?). That's my immediate thought with what you've noted.

3. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    im sorry for your loss, i hope you can save them, hugs to you. dont give up and keep us posted:)

4. swtmarine

Aug 14, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm not sure if the feed medicated or not. It's the starter feed I got from a feed store. If not, where can I find stuff for coccidiosis at? I'm new to chickens.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I would call where you got the feed and ask if it's medicated if you can't tell on the bag. You should be able to go in and ask them what you can give the chicks for that and the dosage (b/c it won't just say poultry on the bottle). Pronounced cox-id-e-o-sis, I believe. (I always like to know how it's pronounced when I go ask for something at the feed store so I don't look like even more of a moron than I already do! [​IMG] )

6. swtmarine

Aug 14, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    The chick seems to be doing just fine now. He's back to running around and pecking at everything. Thanks for everyones help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by