Chicks always start hatching on day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Feb 10, 2011.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Every hatch I've did I always have chicks hatch on day 20. Why is this? Is my temp to high? Ive got three different bators and my I keep my temp at 99 on one thermometer and 100 on the other one. I thought it might be my hovabator thats still air so I bought a brand new hovabator with a fan last year. And I had lav opr eggs on and splash marans. They are due tomorrow and I already have 6-7 chicks. Does it hurt for them to be early? My others are really healthy birds.

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I have that problem too.. I always thought maybe I was counting wrong so who knows! lol Maybe our chicks just like coming early! I don't think it hurts for them to be early though. I have 6 girls in my coop right now that were all early hatches and they've grown up just as well as any other chick and are laying some big eggs for me right now [​IMG]

3. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Out of my 70 something I have now prolly half was a day early. And all are healthy. I guess they can be like human babies, comenwhen they want to too

4. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Most likely, lol, so I never really thought much of it. I like the early surprise of a peep when I shouldn't be expecting it [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I always get between a quarter to a third pip and some even fully hatch on day 20.

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    not unusual for bantams to hatch on day 18. We candled a batch of bantam eggs on day nine and they looked way more developed than they should so we're palnning for an early hatch.

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    a friend went on lock down monday night, had a hatch tuesday morning... i got a bunch of pips tuesday and a bunch of hatches yesterday...

yes, bantams...

8. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Yea I knowits common for bantams but all I've hatched is large fowl

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If it regularly happens with all different kinds of breeds, and with shipped eggs as well as eggs from your own hens, then I'd say yes, your temps probably ARE running a bit higher than the recommended level. But if you're getting good hatch rates and healthy chicks, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If it's working for you, why change anything?

10. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    This morning around 10:15 my incubator was reading 100 degrees and the hygrometer reading was 60%. It is now 2:13 and I got a call from my X-husband about 5 minutes ago-he told me the incubator temperature was 103 degrees - said he didn't know how long it had been that way because he just woke up and went into the bathroom to check it. Last time to turn eggs was this morning and lockdown began. At 103 degrees, does anybody know if those chicks could have survived. They were all viable, and all that was left that you could see with the light was the air pocket on the end when I candled. This is absolutely devastating to me - I am sick at my stomach thinking they perished. Last time I will ever use a Little Giant incubator - I am throwing it away after this hatch (if a miracle occurs and they end up hatching). Opinions, anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by