chicks and broody hens..? help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by americana-chick, Sep 12, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    ok say one of my broody hens is broody and she hatches a few little chickies, well she protect them from the other chickens or will the other chickens even bother the new little ones...? thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Most momma's are great and will protect their babies from everything. Protecting them other chickens is something they rarely fail at.

However, some aren't so great and/or may have trouble keeping a large bunch of chicks safe but that is usually from other predators (dogs, cats, hawks, etc.)

My broody momma only hatched one chick and she did an excellent job of taking care of him. But, he had her undivided attention. However, I did have to help her protect him from my barn kitties more than once when I first let them out to free range. I just made sure I was always there when they weren't safe in their pen.

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    thanks for replying! and also thnaks for the info! my chcikens are due to go broody and all the eggs should be fertile so i am hoping do have a good momma to go broody first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by