Chicks and Broody questions - What should I expect

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Oct 22, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have a broody who has a 7 chicks. They were hatched around Sept 23rd. I've never had a broody before so I just don't know that much about what to expect. How long will she stay with her chicks? How long should I allow her to stay with them? Will she get grumpy with them and push them away when it's time for them to be on their own? It's getting quite cold here so I worry about how to handle this the right way.

I'd just like somebody to explain to me what to expect so I can be prepared. My chicken books don't cover this for some reason. Just when I think I've got it all down, something like this comes up. [​IMG]

2. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Bump, I really want to know.

3. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yeah, i want to know, too. Hope some expert comes along with a good answer for you.
    best,
    maggie

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Hey, my broody hen hatched out her babies last week. I think it's been getting down to 50s at night and they seem to be doing fine.

I sold two of the babies yesterday (out of 4) they were chirping bloody murder the whole time. Our past babies that have been raised inside by us didn't throw as much of a tantrum.

Momma was out with her remaining two chicks this morning and all seems to be well.

Not sure when she'll stop mothering them. I'm sure it will be gradual. At least that's my guess.

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yeah they get really cranky. I noticed that the chicks raised by mom aren't very nice either. they seem to be scared of me since I'm not handling them very much. And I swear that momma is cussing at me a lot. [​IMG] I'm not sure that clucks like that should be allowed if front of the babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by