Chicks and cats LoL!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by confusedturtle, Jun 14, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    We usually let the chicks out to forage about an hour before roost-time. We have a raised garden so they like to jump up onto the sides and eat the weeds out and look for worms and stuff. It is great because they dont really eat the veggies (yet) and scratch right where the weeds are making it easier to toss them aside. The last couple of evenings my cat Daisy has been coming around to watch the chicks and I guess try to figure out what these big birds are and why they wont fly away from her, like regular birds, when she comes around. The last 2 nights right around dusk when I usually put them back inside Daisy will slowly creep around behind them and they will bounce and walk away towards the coop, making it so much easier to get them inside for the night. We have dubbed her the new chicken herder for the house, she seems to enjoy her job and it makes mine much easier [​IMG]

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    That is neat! I have a dog that is derived from (believe it or not) "chicken herders" from Spain. They are in the US by way of Cuba
    and the name of the breed is Havanese. He has great interest in the chickens, and will sit with me a watch them for several minutes
    at a time. Just for the heck of it, I attach a picture.
    I asked an old timer about letting my chickens out to free range in the area where my cat lives and he told me " every grown chicken
    I ever knew could whip any cat I ever saw".

[​IMG]

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    aww he is a cute little guy [​IMG] My dogs like to run up to the coop and scare the chicks so I am afraid to let them free range with the dogs loose. I do think my chickens can take the cat though, she thinks she is sneaky but if she messes with one of them Im sure she will get a lesson she wont forget. One of my chicks has already pecked one of my dogs' nose, he loves to bark at the chicks and race up to the coop to scare them and this time they let him know not to do that LoL!

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Bolton
    This old timer agrees with the old timer you knew. Never saw a cat win a fight yet with chicken.
    My favorite when I lived on the farm and had broody hens with chicks running around and the barn cats was when the young barn cats stalked the hens chicks. You could just see the "confidence" in the young cat and the "I'm not worried about you but you come any closer and you'll worry about me" look on the hen.
    I can't tell you how many times I saw a mother hen send a cat up a tree and the hen had a beak full of fur instead of the cat having a mouth full of feathers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by