chicks and cats

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mdc0414, Nov 7, 2015.

1. mdc0414

mdc0414 New Egg

Nov 7, 2015
    Silly question but on farms chickens roam free with barn cats...is it safe to introduce my cats to my chicks or not recommended?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. On farms most free ranging chicks are protected by their mother who has educated cats that her chicks are not to be messed with. Some cats will kill chicks/chickens, some will not. You can introduce your cats to your birds, but do not leave them alone together until you have assessed the behavior of the cats. Even then I would not trust them.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC!! Cats are like people, they all have different personalities and are unpredictable. my cat is too lazy to hurt anything, she lays and watches the baby chicks and if they annoy her too much she just gets up and moves, the neighbors cat will eat anything that he has the opportunity to catch.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't trust a dog or cat with chicks. Pet + chickens usually = dead chickens. Entertainment for the pets - death for the chicks/chickens.

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by