chicks and cats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debakadeb, Apr 19, 2008.

1. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've noticed on a lot of posts that the chickens are often loose with other pets such as cats and dogs. At what age are chickens safe around cats? I know as babies they would not be safe around our cats...I don't think the dogs would hurt them but I'm not taking chances.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would not leave chickens unattended around cats until they were full grown and somewhat able to defend themselves...best not to leave them unattended with any animal you are uncertain about.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    My cat is scared to death of the chicks, but loves to watch sparrows out the window. Lots of scolding seasoned Daisy against chicks.
    But if your cats won't stand that and/or are rather wild, try either
    1) covering the brooder when you're not using it
    2) putting the chicks' brooder in a room with a door that is warm and that the cats don't like. Daisy, for instance, can't go into our guest room because my aunt who has cat allergies stays here sometimes. If you go "psssssssst!" feircly whenever they enter the room or squirt them with a water gun, they won't have fond memories of that place! Of couse, there's always the chance they'll just associate it with you and not like you anymore, but I cuddle Daisy and I'm her "mommy" (heck, the cat is almost three years old!!!) so she still loves me.

4. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have the brooder in a room where the cats are not allowed (or any other animal). Nothing can get to them at this point. I was thinking more about when they are grown. I would like to let them out in the grass when they are older but only if it's safe for them. Right now, DH is working on a coop that can be moved around. We haven't figured out the logistics of that yet. The original plan was to get 3-4 chicks...ended up with 6 [​IMG] That has changed the coop size as well as the run for them. I have lots of dandelions for them when the time comes for treats [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Have you considered a chicken tractor or an ark? That way they can be outside and be safe from the cat.
    I'm not trusting Kitty AT ALL, not even when mine are grown; until the chickens have proven they can take care of themselves against her. Since the day we brought the chicks home she has made a habit of circling the outside of their coop waiting for her chance. Yesterday I threw a bucket of water on her when I found her by the door. Harsh treatment, I know, but she's a former feral and a 4 legged killing machine.

6. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Quote:I feel the same way about our cat Tabby. She isn't feral but she has killed raccoons bigger than she to bring to her litter of kittens. Right now our plans are a small coop big enough for all six chicks but one that can be picked up and moved. The fencing around the coop is still up in the air but whatever we use will be covered so that predators can't swoop down into it or dig into it. We've looked at lots of different plans and from them my husband had come up with his own plan. He had one idea about the fence -- I had another so we'll have to see how that plays out.

Deb

7. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    And dogs.....oh, don't ever trust a dog. I have 3 very well trained, well behaved dogs - a rottie, a shepard mix and a scottie and they ALL would have chicken every day if I let them near my girls. I've really hesitated to do the "dead chicken training" that my husband has suggested, but if they kill one more, it's going to be dead chicken around the neck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by