Chicks and chemicals

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sassychiken, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sassychiken

sassychiken Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Coastal Bend
    My "wee" babies are already outgrowing the initially smallish rabbit cage I had for them so it is time to upgrade their suites [​IMG] I have a large old dogcrate that I am cleaning up to house them. But I have a question -- I just got threw cleaning it and am using a "green" type of cleaning but let's be honest, there are still chemicals in that kinda of stuff.

I know birds are very sensitive to chemicals. But if I clean it today and let it air outside overnight, do you think that will be enough clean air to eliminate the fumes?

Thanks!

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Sure I guess you can. Why not clean with Vinegar? It works just as good but is safer and is also "green"
    I hope I helped :)
    Mark

3. sassychiken

sassychiken Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Coastal Bend
    <chuckle> I guess it would except for the part I mentioned about already having cleaned out the crates [​IMG]

Nah, that actually is a good idea for next time...don't know why I didn't think of using vinegar before, I have tons of it. Isn't it sad that we automatically go for the easy spray "magic" cleaner instead of the purest and most natural kind? I'll remember that for next time!

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I agree i always want to reach for easy to reach chemicles but then i force myself to remember the vinegar. Especially since i love the smell of it and flies don't [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by