Chicks and Chickens dying!!

RectorsRoost

Hatching
Sep 30, 2015
Here is the short of it,

I have had chickens for 7-8 years. Mostly just 3-5 at a time that free ranged around the house and hedge row. Last April I decided to get a little more sophisticated and I built a 16 x 16 coop that has nesting boxes and roosting polls. I also built a 1/4 acre run that is on the backside of my coop that my chickens have access to all the time. I started with 18 chickens and over the last month I have lost one a week for a total of 4 that have died. I treat my chickens with Wazine twice a year. I also have shavings in the bottom of the coop. I cleaned my coop out 2 weeks ago and treated it for mites and bugs.

I also have a separate pen up off the ground away from my larger chickens that I raise chicks in until they are larger enough to go into the large coop. I keep about 25 chicks in it. I have lost roughly 8-10 chicks over the last 3-4 weeks as well. I spend time with my chicks daily and have not noticed any signs of illness until yesterday. I inspected the dead chick and this is what I found. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hard to tell from the pics but looks like it has been pecked by the other birds, is the vent kind of torn up?

No I have not been to the vet, as I stated I do not notice any sickness/illness. I come home from work to dead birds. Not being smart but if I was headed to the vet I would not have posted on here. I am trying to learn and diagnose and self medicate with out having to go to the vet. However if many more die I will have a necropsy done.

Back
Top Bottom