Chicks and cleaning products, Dangers???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mediazeal, May 6, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I've read here that chicks can die if you use some cleaning products near them.
    Anyone know what cleaning products and how far away they need to be?
    I've also heard here that they die if you cook in a teflon pan near them. Does that mean anywhere in the same house?
    These are not things I want to experiment with......

My dog got sick overnight so I deperately need to clean the rug. I just don't want to kill the chicks who are just 2 weeks old and in two brooders that I can not lug outside.

Also, I have some eggs in the incubator. Will cleaning near the eggs kill them?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Wow, I've never heard of the teflon thing. As for the cleaning products, it's all about the fumes and coming into contact with toxic stuff. Their lungs are delicate as are the lungs of most small creatures. You can use non-toxic cleaners like vinegar around them. There are several studies available that say that vinegar can kill just as much bacteria and viruses as all those chemical cleaners.

As for your carpet, if the chicks are in a seperate room you are probably fine. If not, I'd just move them to a different room or let them play outside until you are done cleaning it up and there isn't an odor anymore.

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I think the Teflon thing is when the pan gets overheated it emits toxic (to birds) fumes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by