Chicks and cold temps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chrys64moore, Jan 2, 2014.

1. chrys64moore

chrys64moore Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    I have a little Japanese hen who hatched three Japanese/Silkie cross chicks five weeks or so ago, and I'm wondering if I should bring them inside for the night (temps in the -10 tonight, -20 tomorrow). The chicks are almost as big as she is, and they can't fit under her anymore, they just snuggle up next to her. Any suggestions?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I personally would unless you have a heat lamp in the coop they can get under. I kind of baby chicks 8 weeks and under who grow up in winter since they don't have meat on their bones yet. I would bring mama in too, so she won't worry about them and fret.

Japanese aren't very cold hardy birds from what I have read. I didn't keep mine very long so can't tell you much about the hen's ability to manage in those temps (we don't get that low here but we do go down to 10 degrees here).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. chrys64moore

chrys64moore Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Thank you! I think I will bring them in tomorrow night for sure, I have a small heater-fan thing going out there tonight so hopefully that will give them a little warmth and they seems to be doing okay. : )

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Make sure your heater is not accessible to having bedding thrown at it, or tipping over, etc.

I like a light bulb hung several ways with heavy duty wire, not including the clamp, and far from flammables. I would not put a heater fan in a coop if it were me, due to the enormous amounts of dust and litter/feathers in the air. Just my opinion! Everyone does things differently.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    momma hens are good but -10 I'd bring em in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by