Chicks and dogs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BearSwampChick, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Hi, this is my first post so pardon me if I make any mistakes. I'm on the verge of deciding whether to raise chickens on our 5-acre lot. We have about 3/4 acre fenced backyard that includes a 20x30 2-story barn. My question is about my English Springer Spaniel. Will she be a huge problem in free-ranging the chickens? Thanks!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Probably at first, until the chickens get bigger. Then, it's more of an individual personality thing with your dog.

I have one dog (Daisy doggy) who is a Heinz 57 mutt, but probably has some dachound and some chow in there somewhere. She would love nothing better than to chase and eat some chicken nuggets when they are small. BUT by they time they hit 4 months old, the tables are turned and she is scared of them.

I'd recommend sectioning off a part of the yard for the chickens just to be on the safe side until they get bigger and you are sure you can trust your dog 1000%...

3. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured. Lucy is mostly submissive and trains easily, so I'll just have to work on that and introducing them a little at a time. I can't wait to get started!

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    My only concern would be that Springers are bird dogs and chickens are birds. Do you see where I am going with this? You may just have to keep the birds and the dog separated.

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I have two labs both hunting dogs they have no problems with my chickens. The only problem I have ever had were when they were little chicks that is where you will need to take some precautions.

6. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. We have an area of yard adjacent to the barn that I will probably use as the outdoor run. It's fairly large. We're either going to section off a corner of the barn as a coop or build onto the side as my hubby doesn't really want to give up any of his precious barn space. [​IMG] I'll just keep Lucy inside or on a leash when the chickens are outside the run.

7. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Quote:I think that you are wise. [​IMG] We have a lab that we got when he was a year and he still has yet to figure out that cats and chickens are not fair game. I think that a dog that is raised around chickens will be so much less likely to bother them. Our next dog will be a pup.

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:Dogs are a mystery when it comes to chickens. It all depends on your dog. I would gradually introduce each other and have the dog on a leash at first. Chickens can be flighty and this triggers the chase the prey instinct in dogs. How is your dog with other animals? My dog Dodge is very special in the fact is a super passive dog, if he were any more passive he be a stuffed animal. I trust my dog around the chickens. In fact he has a tendency to ignore them(not interesting enough lol). He loves all animals especially pigs which he find very interesting. I did not teach Dodge to do this he comes by it naturally. I really don't know what he would do if he were around another dog that would chase birds(the whole pack mentality). Good luck with your dog.

9. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Thanks for all the wise input. I think I have a pretty good idea on how to proceed now. Looking forward to being a part of the chicken community!

10. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I have 3 dogs and the only one that even gives them the time of day is the smallest one, he likes to chase them for fun. When they were chicks he did grab one and kill it but I caught him in the act. He has not touched any since, he is weird though he like to eat their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by