Chicks and Ducklings Together??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyPebbles, May 4, 2009.

1. ChickyPebbles

ChickyPebbles Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Hi all! I am fairly new to all of this.... I've taken care of adult chickens and ducks but have never had my own and raised them from babies. Im doing my research and this site has been a WONDERFUL help. I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to get chicks and ducklings at the same time and keep them together?

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    No!! No!! No!! Ducks will quickly out grow chicks.

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:hmm..... ive seen LOTS of pictures with chicks and ducklings together. BUT IM NOT SURE!

4. ChickyPebbles

ChickyPebbles Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Quote:See thats why I asked.... I have also noticed tons of pictures with them together :eek:)

5. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I have mine together, and they get along better as they grow up and free range later on.

6. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Right now, at this very moment, I have two ducklings and four chicks in the brooder. They LOVE each other. [​IMG] Well, I think they do. Every time I take the chicks out, the ducks start "crying" until I put them back! They always eat together, sleep together, and drink together. If one's awake, they're all awake!

I wouldn't separate them at all. With pine shavings, the ducks aren't even that messy or smelly. It's fun. [​IMG]

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, the ducklings WILL grow much faster then the chicks. I have a Call Duck in with my Bantam chicks now. I will have to see how this goes. It was the only duck that hatched and he is Way to small to be with the 5 week old ducks. The five week olds are also larger breeds of duck.

Trying to get more Call Ducks to keep with this one. So far they really cuddle.

[​IMG]

8. Sylvie72

Sylvie72 Out Of The Brooder

Hey LUVDUCKS,
    What breed? Is a roo? of chick you got there on the right (yellow)? I have two the same and don't know what kind they gave me, I had ordered specific chicks but got two extra and don't know if they are roos or hens or what breed they are. thanx

9. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I had 2 ducks in with my 10 chicks and had no problems. One duck and 3 pullets are out in the coop now and are good friends

10. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Ducks are really really messy with their water, so just be sure and change the bedding often to keep things clean and keep the chicks nice and dry!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by