chicks and ducks question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chess0125, Mar 26, 2015.

1. chess0125

chess0125 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Utah
    We moved our chicks (5 weeks?) Into the coop with the ducks this morning. My question is the water. We have a giant black water dish for the two ducks to swim. It's about 18 inches tall from the bottom of the ground. I'm concerned the chicks will fly up and fall in and drown. Is this a valid concern?

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Yes! At five weeks the chicks should be smart enough, however 18 inches is deep and to me would raise some concern. Another concern I have is five week old chicks being with ducks. Depending on the breed, I had 2 white pekin ducks, and they weren't to fond of new birds in the coop, specially small defenseless one. However every bird, coop, and flock is different. I would be cautious though. Good luck!

3. chess0125

chess0125 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Utah
    The ducks are Rouens, and they've been incredibly gentle (actually the ignore the chicks completely lol) but we still have a sectioned off area that only the chicks can get into so it shouldn't be an issue, the chicks can hide in the corner with their heat lamp, food, and water, duck free, for the next two months if they want to :) Thanks for the response! I'll see if I can figure out a solution to the water bucket problem...

4. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Im glad your ducks are gentle! Mine were not! LOL they gave fight to racoons! I would imagine a couple weeks and the chickens will be fine with the water bucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by