chicks and ducks together

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sophieana, Oct 25, 2016.

1. sophieana

sophieana New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Hi everyone. we have made it to 4 weeks old with our 3 welsh harlequins and 2 chicks. so far so good. I just have a few questions about what comes next... first, we live in nz so we don't have to many predators. mainly domestic pets. also it's warm, spring time and getting warmer everyday.

we have a natural Creek that runs right past our house that has lots of very friendly wild ducks living in it. when my ducks are older can I let them go with no fences? and will they come back? I had planned to have a little house for them to lay in that can be shut up at night but I wanted them to be free range during the day. also what age do they not need a heat lamp anymore? sorry bout all the questions. Cheers

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, sophieana, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Free ranging obviously carries inherent risks - even with few natural predators - as you mentioned domestic pets can still do a number on fowl. In terms of letting your ducks go to the creek and mingle with the wild ducks, I'd worry a little about the wild birds passing diseases on to my birds. The folks in the Ducks Forum here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks may be able to speak to that. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! You have some great advice there from redsoxs. I'm afraid I'm not a duck keeper but I'm sure the keepers in the duck section will be able to help you out further.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Pleased to meet you :) I hope you find what you're looking for. Best of luck.

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us! As @redsoxs said, domestic pets can also harm your ducks. I don't know much about ducks either, but the folks in the duck forum do. Have a wonderful time on here and best of luck! [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    :welcome

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would worry that your ducks will join the wild ones and fly off with them.

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    As some of the other greeters have already said, the members on the duck forum will be able to offer you the best advice.

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by