Chicks And Ducks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaconMommy5, Mar 18, 2017.

1. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    We have 11 Chicks in the brooder right now along with 2 ducklings. All are about the same age. (Less than a Week) They get along great. They splash together, cuddle at night and all. But I was told it's bad to raise them together. And that it's a definite no to let them share a space in the coop. Is there a specific reason for that? I can't find anything from a google or BYC search.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You can raise them together. However you'll probably want to make a duckling waterer to keep everything dry because chicks are much more susceptible to chilling than ducks. And you'll need to be adding niacin to the feed for the ducklings.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Have a plan B - the ducklings will grow faster and if they start picking on the chicks, you'll want to be able to separate them.
    But, they may all just get along fine and stay that way.

As far as housing them together at night... chickens roost. Ducks don't (well, muscovies do). Gravity... the ducks will get pooped on.
    So just create your coop so that the ducks have an area where they can snooze and not be pooped on - or use poop boards under the roosts

4. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    I have a separate area set up just in case. And they'll have their own space in the coop to go at night. As of now they're all good. So just watching and hoping it stays that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by