chicks and going on vacation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kynholt, Dec 28, 2014.

1. kynholt

kynholt New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    My husband and I wanted to start chick's this spring but we planned to take our children to Disney world this summer. Now he is worried about what to do with our chickens. I was really ready to get things going with our chicks but now he is hesitant. What do you guys do when you travel? We just moved to the dayton ohio area and don't really know anyone that we could ask to come and feed them etc.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Locate a local 4 H group, and see if there is someone in that group who does 'pet sitting'.

3. scrambled freud

scrambled freud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Lebanon Ohio
    How many chicks?
    How old will they be when you travel?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

sounds like an excellent time to start making friends! You've got months, hopefully you won't be living in a void that long [​IMG]. 4-H, FFA and similar groups are wonderful for finding pet sitters. There are also state threads here on byc, you might be looking for someone local who would possibly be willing to swap sitting services. But seriously, getting to know your neighbors is a good thing. You never know when things might happen where you need to call on someone local, and that's a bad time to try to meet folks.

5. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    We had to give up traveling together, but we don't have young children and we're not spring chickens so for us, being alive, together at home is fine with us and having our feathered friends around just makes it all the better! They are our life therapists!

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    There is a web site called Care.com. I think it is national. We found a wonderful pet sitter through this site. She has taken care of our chickens and other pets for several years now. The site isn't free to use, but you can pay for a month and then cancel once you find someone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by