Chicks and Heat question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hollytree10, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Hollytree10

Hollytree10 In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    Hey Y'all--new to chickens and need some expertise [​IMG]! I am trying to acclimate my 5 week old chicks to the outside by leaving them in the run all day for a week or so before leaving them out all night towards the end of the week. But it is so hot and humid out (Alabama 90 degrees). They are panting and peeping but they have lots of shade and lots of water---can I leave them out there to get used to it? Will it harm them to get so hot at this age? They are going to have to get used to it eventually---they can't live in my guest room forever :)

2. Campesina

Campesina Songster

Aug 24, 2011
    Give them lots of fresh water...ice water if possible.
    Another member suggested putting the blue ice packs in an old garbing bin (rectangular) and they went in there to cool off.
    They will get used to the heat but you want them as comfortable as possible.

3. Hollytree10

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks---taking the ice water out now--and will rig them a little mini-fridge with ice packs! [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If they have plenty of fresh, clean water and good air-flow along with shade that is all that is necessary.

Folks have been keeping poultry in the hot country since long before refrigeration came along.

5. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    do you have electric in your coop.if so hook up a fan so it could move air around.and they can stand in front to cool off.

6. Hollytree10

Apr 27, 2012
    I don't have electricity out there...but the ice water seems to be helping. I know chickens have to deal with heat but I was just worried since they are young and this is their first week outside....thanks y'all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: