chicks and kids - hand washing question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naturababe, May 12, 2010.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    do i need to be strict about hand washing after handling the chicks? all our hands are getting super dry because we love playing with the chicks but hey, they step in poop and then they step into our hands. so, do i need to worry?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I would... the easiest way to get sick is not washing your hands....

tip: use warm water and soap... not hot water ...
    use a moisturizing lotion frequently
    you could use the gel hand sanitizer but they can be just as drying on your hands,

personally I prefer to wash the good old fashioned way

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Well mine have to wash every time!!! WE go play with chickens or do chicken chores when we come back in we wash. well for that matter they wash anytime they come in from outside. I may be a little over the top but after dealing with staph and ringworm and infections to me we can never be too careful but it isn't just with chickens it is all the time. I guess it is a personal choice maybe use the moiturizing germx stuff after each time they handle the chicks might help the hands or even an extra moisturizing soap.[​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It's super important to practice good handwashing after handling baby chicks (or chickens for that matter). All kinds of things can be contracted by handling them. Perhaps you should get some hand lotion to use after handwashing if dry hands is your main complaint.

5. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    ok, good to know. i just wasn't sure if there really were bad things the kids could catch or if i was being paranoid.

yup, got hand lotion, the five year old just doesn't like to wash or use the lotion so i needed to know if i should let it slide or be hard and fast about it.

thanks all.

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I bought a bottle of hand sanitizer and keep it by the brooder for use when people come over.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Theoretically kids should wash their hands after handling poultry. I never did and I lived to grow up. So did my grubby little cousins.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    we actually wash before for the chicks protection....

and after for our protection....

and yes years ago people never washed their hands like we do now... but I think either the immune systems of people are not as good as they used to be... or there are stronger bugs out there that we cant fight as well

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Uh?

Yeah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by