chicks and light at nighttime

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eponagirl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    I have a ceramic heat emitter in my brooder for heat. In the beginning I also used a red heat lamp above the brooder for the light and additional heat. The heat emitter is doing fine now on it's own reaching the required temp of 90 ish degrees for 10day old chicks (6 chicks total).

My question has to do with light...I thought the heat emitter would help with getting them used to day/night pattern of the world. ..is it better for the chicks to have the red light at night or is ok for them to have darkness now? Tonite I have the red light off to the side and it illuminates some of where their feeders are. The chicks have been quiet and sleeping so far in the shadowy part of the brooder near the heat (in their usual napping spots).

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I think what you are doing is really very good, hey think a bout mothernature, if they have a mom broody hen that's they way they are going to be raisd, so I think they will be just fine, and less stress = helthier chickens.

Omran

3. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Yes, that was what I was hoping for. [​IMG]
    There is still some red light in there tonite...maybe I'll just keep dimming the light every few days?
    I don't want them to start smothering each other if they can't see. Some like to sleep in a corner and three were piling up (the brooder is warm enough) on each other. Maybe that is just a fear of mine, though??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by