Chicks and lighting??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Doormantnt, May 4, 2009.

1. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Hello all...just tryin my hand with 6 week and half odd chicks, and have a question with lighting and lenght of time....I'm using a lamp for heat (brooder is in basement...cool, not cold) but with lamp I can keep it bout 85 degrees now, but that is with light on 24 hours a day...I have read that it is ok for first few days, but how long can it stay....there is 2 windows, so there is some natural light, but I'm not sure how to regulate temps, and not have continuous light...I'm new and pretty sure I'm hooked even with only 6 (for now) LOL....so any help will be appreciated...Thanks in advance. TNT

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

Quote:Well first [​IMG] [​IMG] Second your lighting: If you lower the lamp closer to the floor it will get warmer and if you raise the lamp up it will get cooler but at 6wks old 85 is probably pretty good for them they shouldn't need continous light but if you need light for heat use a red party light bulb from walmart or something like that it keeps them quiet at night and they will also be less apt to peck at each other. Hope that helps!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At six weeks they can handle temps. around 70 or a little less. If the temp. in the basement is 70 without a light in the daytime then I simply wouldn't use one and get their daytime light from the windows.
    A red bulb would allow you to keep them warm at night and allow them to get some shuteye.

4. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Thanks for the replies...but they are only 1 and half weeks old, not 6...I'm trying to look in the NEAR future...they are already getting "bigger"....LOL...

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oops, sorry misread your first post. Yeah, the advice you got from Peanut should work for you.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    You start them out at 95 then lower the temp by 5' each week. They should be at 90 then 85 when they hit 2 wks old.

I really recommend the red heat lamp. You can get a fixture for one at Petsmart in the reptile section with a timmer so you don't have to raise or lower the fixture to get the temp right.

Make sure you have your lights double secure in case the clamp gives.

When I started my babies in the walkin closet with no window, I would leave the overhead light on during day light hours so they would get used to light and dark, even though the red light gives off light. Then they were out in the sunroom with lots of daylight.

Good luck with yours.

FYI - The BTC Home page has lots of great info.

7. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I'm quite new but wanted to welcome you! I have only been here a short time and have learned so many thing. I know you will too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by