Chicks and making them pets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fairwindminishetland, Feb 27, 2012.

1. fairwindminishetland

fairwindminishetland Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have several new chicks and more coming. I wondered what everyone does to help to make them pets. I'd like for them to be handleable and come to me. If I could carry them around, so much the better! I know you folks out there have lots of thoughts and experiences with this. All help is appreciated.

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    I whistled to them every time I would go to feed them and eventually they came to me so I could feed them more easily!! I love my little chickens!! If you whistle to them everyday at about the same time they would let you play with, hold, pet, or do anything with them that isn't hamful to them!! Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    With some chicks raised in brooder I have taken to modifying care so they are trained to come to me for mealworm or other insect treats. A couple that can be recognized by sight are given names. A given chick is only allowed to get a treat when I call its name repeatedly. Once they figure out names after a day or so, I encourage them to jump or fly a little. After a couple more days they will fly a few feet horizontally. By time they are 4 weeks old my games will 20 feet across room. When all is said and done, same birds can be called as adults from rest of free-ranging flocks and they will fly up onto my arms. I allow them to perch on me but avoid holding them like you do a cat since such can be stressfull.

4. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    We like to sit outside while they free range and they will come up and sit with us. I have noticed that my 1st broody hens clutch is more socialable then my adults were when they were in the brooder. We have the 2nd broody hens clutch and they are doing the same thing they are only a week old and they come up to us and sit in our laps or stand on our shoes. [​IMG] They also come stand between my legs when they think there is danger. The Alpha rooster is also very sweet with the babies.

5. fairwindminishetland

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thank you for all of the responses...all help. At what age can you start the mealworms? I got a bunch for this, but wasn't sure when they were old enough to eat them or be attracted to them. I talk to the chicks a lot when I am near and the d'uccles especially seem to like it but none of them really want me to touch them or pick them up? I'll try a bit of all of these suggestions! I am trying gentle breeds and was hoping I could play with them while in the brooder phase and make them into pets, but to this point, they aren't looking for my attention, but aren't really flighty either?

6. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Oh goodness, mealworms are very influential. I think we started ours at 2 months. They love them like nothing else. We shake our mealworm container to get them back into the run. We stopped mealworms for about a month, noticed the chickens were not as friendly, and started them again: friendly hens.

They are most friendly once they are laying though.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They can begin consumption of mealworms the day of hatch. Make certain they dismember mealworm before swallowing. What I like to do is make younger chicks tear mealworm apart as they pull pieces of one from out between my fingers. Dismemberment of larger animal prey is purpose of the barnyard chases. Keep mealworm treat to less than 10% of total intake to keep mealworms in the treat category, otherwise they will not get as excited. Also make certain they still get quality feed as mainstay.

Try not to look directly at chicks and do not tower over them. Such are indications of aggression. They will look for you once live mealworms become part of picture,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  8. fairwindminishetland

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thank you soo much. I will start that project today! This should be a fun project. Can't wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by