Chicks and Mites question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Countrychick8540, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Countrychick8540

Countrychick8540 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    So i'm very new to raising chicks, and I looked for articles on mites, and didn't really find the answer I want. Can chicks from a hatchery have mites when you get them? Can they develop them even if they aren't outside yet? Do they just naturally occur? I just don't want to get any mites from them or have any of my other animals get them ( I have 2 dogs, and 3 cats also). Is there any way to prevent them?

Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Poultry lice and mites will only affect poultry.

It is unlikely you'll get bugs from shipped chicks, but since poultry lice and mites occur naturally in most environments, you'll probably have to deal with them eventually. Bugs travel on wild birds, so at some point, expect to dust your birds.

THANKFULLY-- lice and red mites are easy to treat.

Does that help?

3. Countrychick8540

Countrychick8540 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Thank you, that does help! [​IMG]

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I found red mites in my latest bag of pine shavings from TSC. It's just part of the beast. I sprayed the run and coop with liquid Sevin to make sure it stays under control, and I use DE for dustbathing. DE is very finely ground seashells, basically, and has very sharp edges that cut open exoskeleton. Haven't used it on a single bug that survived it, including black widow spiders. Granted they each got a full quarter cup apiece ;)

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The more you can keep wild birds out of your coop and run, the fewer mites you should have. I have to treat every four months year round in order to keep them away. If I skip a treatment then I am dealing with mites.

But others don't have such a problem.

Here are some links:

http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/Docs/exparasites.pdf

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html
    this last page mentions carbaryl as restricted

You can buy permethrin powder- Pro zap poultry dust - at the feed store or online. Also permethrin spray to dilute to spray the coop with.

If you give them a dust bath with woodstove ashes, DE, sand and dirt all mixed up this can be a good preventative. But for an active infestation I recommend chemicals.

This is just one of those things to keep on top of. I'll tell you...I have had a harder time getting rid of fleas on a cat than getting rid of mites on my chickens! Not to worry...just make sure you toss all the bedding and retreat as recommended (tossing the bedding again) or they will come back.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    We get them every year, no matter how much I try to prevent it.

I get a rubbermaid container, fill it with a bag of sand, a container of sevin/poultry dust, and a gallon-scoop of DE.

Every chicken gets captured, dunked, and (gently) scrubbed with sand. Like a dust-bath spa.

Beware of flapping.

7. ChickensAreSweet

Sand- a good exfoliative! [​IMG]

Just kidding. [​IMG]

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    LOL. I just went and buried a chicken. She loved it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickensAreSweet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ~Charm1704