1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks and Mom

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marie_martin, May 17, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Ok, my OEGB hen hatched 3 babies and they are living in the coop/tractor with her and dad. I have been feeding them all chick starter so that the chicks can eat with mom and dad and learn how to eat. When do I start the adults on their own feed or is it even possible at this point? Do I start to feed the whole lot of them layer pellets? How does that work. I could not find anything that described that process. Thanks

Marie

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Chicks need to eat starter then grower for at least 18 weeks. Layer doesn't have enough protein. The chick food wont hurt mom& dad. (at least this is my understanding from what I have read here)

How about hanging a mom&dad feeder with a bit of their food a bit higher where the chicks can't get it.

just a thought

Coyote

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, the mom and dad seem to like the chick food better anyway. I had bought the layer pellets and they are banties so they had a time eating it. I had been crushing it up for them. But I think they like the starter because it is easy to eat. I will get another feeder and put up high for them and see if they eat it. Thanks.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by