Chicks and new foods?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eggie and Me, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Are chicks always so nervous about new things?? Our chicks (3 wks old) are terrified of the color green. [​IMG] IF I carefully cut up greens into small pieces they will approach after much discussion.. [​IMG] It's actually hysterical...

2. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Our chicks, now about 4 weeks old are like *velosoraptors* when it comes to broccoli treats. They are SWARMING our hands and pecking at them vigorously! No problems at all introducing greens....they also like chickweed which is seeding now here in Tx.

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I just gave my 2 week old babies a cut up hard boiled egg.
    They loved it. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chicks and grown chickens are often scared of any new thing. Just leave the treats in with them. Sooner or later one brave soul will be willing to take the risk of trying it. When the others see that chick didn't die a horrible death for being so bold, they'll be willing to try it as well.
    It helps to offer new foods in the same bowl every time. Preferably a colorful one. They'll learn to recognize that bowl and look forward to seeing it.

5. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Guess the key is patience. They're still a wee bit nervous around new foods, but warm up to them easier with each new introduction. Todays lunch was steamed peas, hard boiled egg with fine grit sprinkled over the top and strawberries from our garden. It's just so darn entertaining to watch them discover and learn new things...

6. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I keep having to remind myself... well.. they are chicken after all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by