Chicks and perches

FreeBirthMama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
My first batch of 7 chicks are 4 weeks old. They are very quickly outgrowing their playpen brooder. We let them free range with the hens and rooster during the day and bring them in at night. I have 2 short branch perches in the brooder and they have been roosting on them instead of sleeping under the heater at night. I'd like to move them into the coop, and I was wondering if the 2x4 perches already there would be fine for them, or if I should make some smaller ones? They have been getting on fine with the hens and roo. Only one hen chases them, but she's got her own batch of 1 week old chicks and she will chase anyone if they get too close. Mama hen is nesting with her babies in a box in the coop, so the bigger babies can easily avoid her. Its been quite warm here so I don't think the babies even need the heater now, but I could set it up in the coop if necessary.

Poultry Club of Great Britian
Hatching, Rearing, and Care of Young Poultry
(excerpt: "Rearing - 8 weeks onwards
People argue when (and sometimes if at all) chicks should be given perches. As long as the perches are at least 2" (5cm) wide there should not be a problem of bent breastbones from perches which are too narrow, and certainly the lighter breeds like perches."
Perching in chicks is not mentioned before this age in this article. I infur that the PC of GB thinks 8 weeks is a proper age to start the chicks perching.
Best Success,
Karen

My chicks are six weeks old and they are roosting already. Their perch is a four inch diameter natural tree branch. They seem to be quite comfortable on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom