1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks and pigeon pellets

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by BombadilFarm, Oct 3, 2015.

1. BombadilFarm

BombadilFarm New Egg

Jul 16, 2015
    I have 12, 12 week old chicks, supposedly all pullets but one silkie, Fluffy, crows. Lol! Anyway, they are in the same shed as my 15 pigeons divided by a plywood wall and chicken wire. The chicks are trying their darnedest to get in to the pigeon side. What I'm worried about is if - wait a minute- WHEN they eat the pigeon pellets (Purina Checkers mixed with the high nutritional one for breeders ) if that's a bad idea for them. I'm tired of fighting with keeping them separated and the food is the only thing I'm worried abou.
    Thanks!!

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I think it would be fine for them to eat the pigeon feed. I feed my pigeons chicken food so if you are worried about it you could just feed them all the chick/chicken feed.

3. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Yeah most peoples pigeons seem to do better on chicken feed than their chickens do. Lol

4. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    My bantams and my pigeons share the same shed and I have seen the pigeons shove the chickens to the side to get to the chicken feed.of course they are all about the same size..... I gave up trying to keep them out of each others food and just put their bowl of water up on top of the kennel the oldest pair claims as their own and feed them all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by