1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks and pregnant

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kerroppi76, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    Does anyone know what (if any) I should take being 9 weeks pregnant when it comes to taking care of my girls? Thanks

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:mmmm..Can you elaborate more? Are you worried about being pregnant and having to deal with birds? Like catching something?

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Must be her first time. The more times the tougher she'll get.

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    No more precautions than any other day. Just keep your hands washed after handling and if you're in an endemic area of histoplasmosis, you can wear a mask when cleaning the coop.

5. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    thanks, wasn't sure if you could catch anything from teh birds like you can with Kittie litter. It is my 3rd pregnancy but first one with owning chickies!

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I cleaned up chicken pens, cat boxes, and dog piles throughout my pregnancies and nothing bad happened.

7. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:No offense, but that is not the best advice. For pregnant women there is a very real and very dangerous risk in cleaning cat litter boxes. It is called Toxoplasmosis (spelling is wrong on that, but its close enough to google it and get the right results). It can cause severe health issues to an unbron/fetus including misscarriage.

That said, most people who have had cats or been around them have already been exposed and have protection agaisnt this pathogen, but for a first time cat owner who may be pregnant, or someone who may not have been exposed to it during their life, it is not something to just brush off as a non-threat. I think the danger is highest during the first trimester of pregnancy.

As with ANY animal and its feces or pee, you should ALWAYS wash your hands very well after being around it and cleaning it up, and if it is a dusty job, it doesnt hurt to use a dust mask, just in case.

I dont think there is anything you have to worry about as far as catching any kind of disease from your chicks, OP. If they have anything really bad, it will usually kill them pretty quick, or you will notice them acting very ill. Even then, I dont think you can catch it, but like Isaid earlier, you just need to wash your hands real well and you should be fine.

Congrats on your new pregnancy AND your new baby chicks!!!

BTW, there is a 'Expectant Parent' thread here on BYC you might enjoy....When are you due?

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Yes, just be very careful! Chicks and Pregnant sounds like a great name for a new reality show btw. [​IMG]

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:No offense, but that is not the best advice. For pregnant women there is a very real and very dangerous risk in cleaning cat litter boxes. It is called Toxoplasmosis (spelling is wrong on that, but its close enough to google it and get the right results). It can cause severe health issues to an unbron/fetus including misscarriage.

That said, most people who have had cats or been around them have already been exposed and have protection agaisnt this pathogen, but for a first time cat owner who may be pregnant, or someone who may not have been exposed to it during their life, it is not something to just brush off as a non-threat. I think the danger is highest during the first trimester of pregnancy.

As with ANY animal and its feces or pee, you should ALWAYS wash your hands very well after being around it and cleaning it up, and if it is a dusty job, it doesnt hurt to use a dust mask, just in case.

I dont think there is anything you have to worry about as far as catching any kind of disease from your chicks, OP. If they have anything really bad, it will usually kill them pretty quick, or you will notice them acting very ill. Even then, I dont think you can catch it, but like Isaid earlier, you just need to wash your hands real well and you should be fine.

Congrats on your new pregnancy AND your new baby chicks!!!

BTW, there is a 'Expectant Parent' thread here on BYC you might enjoy....When are you due?

Yes! Come join us!

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Wouldn't a lot of what needs to be done just be common sense? Clean up after working with the chickens or cleaning the coop? I think the Lord gave you more imunities than you know. Just like every other day, keep things clean.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by