Chicks and Rain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aunt Angus, May 15, 2019.

1. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I always seem to have silly questions, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have a pullet raising a 4-week-old chick. Mama has been exceptional... except maybe today. It has been raining all evening. Mama and chick are in the covered run now, but they were out running around in the rain earlier. The chick isn't fully feathered (obviously), but mama didn't seem to have any issues foraging with her out in the rain. The chick got pretty wet. It's only supposed to get into the 50's tonight, and mama still has her sleeping in the nest.

Should I be worried about her getting chilled? Will she be ok under mama, or did mama drop the proverbial ball?

TIA, and please forgive my naivete.

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  2. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Mama is taking care of chick, don't worry about that. At 4 weeks the chick has most of the feathers needed to insure warmth! And besides, chick will be under Mama, the best heater ever made. Relax, nature knows what it's doing. Chicks are very resilient, much more than we give them credit for. They are both fine. It's really plenty warm for the chick! Take a breath and relax! Use wine if necessary! :hugs

3. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I figured as much, but then I get to thinking - a very dangerous pastime. I think: What if mama was supposed to keep baby dry but didn't because she is a young and inexperienced mama? What if she gets cold and dies overnight? Should I have locked them in the run while the others were foraging?

Wine is a great suggestion. I will follow your very wise advice! :p

4. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I worried about the rain with 8 week old chicks. I even put umbrellas up in the run for them to go under.

I am way past wine..I've moved on to tequila :celebrate

5. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    If mama is acting like a mama she is doing fine. Please do not overthink nature! Get out the wine RIGHT NOW! :gig

6. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I'm sure that the OP is out there checking on the little one with a glass of wine in their hand :p

D-Bar-B, Willowspirit, chkva and 2 others like this.
  7. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    If the chicks had no mother hen and no other cover you did the right thing. Chickens of any age DO need to be able to escape the rain when they want to! I use a big tarp on my run and I added a old water container that I put on it's side and cut a hole in. I made husband make a big hole so if the chickens lay eggs in it I can get them out! Tequila is good when used in moderation! Enjoy!
    :frow

water cube playroom.jpg

Aunt Angus and Mimi’s 13 like this.
  8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I always see questions about what people should keep in their chicken first aid kits. I maintain that coarse salt and margarita mix are essential.

9. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    :yuckyuck But true!

Blooie and Aunt Angus like this.
  10. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Y'all are cracking me up!

Mama and chick are dry. My other pullets are soaked... Now I'm worried about THEM! Hahaha!

Time to get into that first aid kit for sure!
    :lau:gig

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Mimi’s 13, Blooie and chkva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: