Chicks and Roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by S. Pitman, May 9, 2007.

1. S. Pitman

S. Pitman New Egg

May 9, 2007
    Hi, I'm Stacey . I currently have two separate flocks each with 7 hens and a rooster. I also have 25 6 week old chicks, who are rapidly outgrowing any place I have for them. I am thinking of combining the adult hens and putting the babies in with one of the roosters...but I have never read anything about what a rooster will do to a very young hen...get the picture..I am trying to be delicate here... but you know they are very young ladies.... If it is absolutly necesssary I can remove a rooster..but I am very fond of them both. They are well behaved around us, protective of their ladies and keep them in line...no agressive hen pecking going on...so any thought of the bst way to introduce the new ones.... I had been told I have to wait until they are 6 months to add them to an existing flock of hens..and I think t would be wrong to keep them cooped up in the small space I have for them for that long. Now that summer has finally arrived I would liek for them to be able to be outside enjoying the weather.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

This is what I would do and do do with my flocks. I wait till the chicks are about 12 weeks and one night, sneak them all into their future respective pens. The little ones will run from the older ones, get a little banged up, but otherwise be ok because the rooster will still have his hens and leave the little ones alone. If you must move them out now, just put all your old birds together. Your two roosters might not like it at first but they'll figure it out. Don't put just a bunch of young chicks with the rooster alone though. I've never had an older rooster try to mate with a female that was too small for their likings, but then again, my birds have alot of area to hide and free range over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by