Chicks and temperatures in outdoor coop

theperdews

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Our chicks were born January 8th, and we have moved them to a new chicken tractor that I built (I'll include a picture of a chick next to adult chickens for size reference). Since I've never built anything in my life, the coop has, um....lots of ventilation, if you know what I mean. ;-) I will caulk and seal it better in the next few days.

We currently have a heat lamp inside, but I'm wondering when we can turn the heat lamp off at night. We are in SW Iowa, and our temps are typically in the 20's at night. There are 21 chicks in the coop.

1. What temps can the chicks easily weather at night while inside the enclosed coop building without a heat lamp?
  2. And what temps can they do during the day if we open the hatch to the open-air part when they are 7 weeks and older?

Thanks!

Toni

PS The coop is tall...I bet you noticed that! My daughters wanted to have room underneath it to bond with the chicks (play). So each time we move it, while the ground is clean, my kids will be inside holding the chicks, I'm sure!

Their fine, at 6 weeks now they are fully feathered. If you want to acclimate them some first just have the light on at night only and put in a low watt light like 40w. Go like that for 3 to 5 days then take out the light completely.

Mine at 2 week were outside, with mama, in 31 degree weather. Ever now and then they would crowd under her but for the most part just runnin around. At 7 week she shut them off and they were on their own. Down to 21 and they were fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom