chicks and the heating element

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozark_chickies, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    My 3rd hatch in a miller little giant is due to start hatching this coming Wednesday, and I was wondering how to keep the chicks from burning themselves on the heating element. On the first two hatches I could see the chicks climbing on the eggs and thermomater, touch the element and jump back [​IMG] . I know it hurt them because, I've touched it too, and it is hot! Any ideas on how to make it safe for my babies?

2. Drover

Drover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    What I am planning to do is to put wire netting blocking the chicks from getting to the heating element- I am making a homemade incubator, so I have learned all kinds of cool things to do! [​IMG] hope I helped!

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Drover
    Yesterday 5:02 pmWhat I am planning to do is to put wire netting blocking the chicks from getting to the heating element- I am making a homemade incubator, so I have learned all kinds of cool things to do! hope I helped!

Thats a good idea, if I can figure out how to install it without blocking access to the removable windows.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by