Chicks and water nipples

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maryb, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Maryb

Maryb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    What a title, lol! I'm getting baby chicks soon and am wondering how young they can drink from water nipples?

2. Zolon

Zolon Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I picked up my chickens on Saturday from Atwoods, and had them on the normal chick water dish. Got fed up with having to clean it out every time I turned around and on Tuesday I picked up some "chicken nipples".

I took the water tray away, setup the "nipples" and with in 20 minutes all of the chicks figured it out. They have been on that since with no noticeable issues.

This is my first flock though, so I may have just gotten lucky.

3. Westfordchix

Westfordchix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2015
    Glad to hear that you successfully switched over that that young age. I've only raised one batch of chicks, and changing the water 4 times a day got old really quick. I probably did it for 3 weeks before I switched to nipples.

I have a second batch of 8 chicks arriving in May from Myers Hatchery, and I was wondering how long I should wait to switch over to nipples. With your advice, I will probably make the switch a lot sooner!

1 person likes this.
  4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Last year I let a broody hen hatch eggs. I only got one chick from the hatch and of course it was a Roo, but from day one that chick has only ever known nipples for water.
    I mounted a bottle with a nipple in the brooding cage and momma must have shown him how to drink from it at the start and that was all that was needed.
    So they can use the nipples from day one as long as they are low enough to be reached by the chicks. Although for the chick to be able to reach the nipple, it's going to be very low for the momma but she was still able to use it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by