Chicks and water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FombellClucks, Mar 17, 2011.

1. FombellClucks

FombellClucks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Still reading up on chicks for when ours hatch in 1 week 3 days give or take... My husband was told that to introduce a chick to water you have to push thier beak into it, is this true? Again thanks for help and advice...I LOVE the daily posts that have all ready answered SO many of my questions.

2. austinandkara

austinandkara Out Of The Brooder

It has not been true in my experience. I have gotten chicks from a hatchery and I currently have chicks that my hen had 2 weeks ago and neither batches of chicks had a problem with finding and drinking water. I just use one of those waterers that have the red bottom and the clear-ish top and the chicks always just seem to know to go to it and get a drink.

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Mine figured it out themselves right away. I put shiny blue glass pebbles in the water, which attracted them.
    One stressed chick I did a beak dip on later to make sure it knew to drink and wasn't dehydrated.

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    That is why I thought my chicks were the smartest chicks in the world, because they jumped out of the shipping box and ran to the food and water, no help at all. But I suppose there are others who have chicks just as smart. But, also, My chicks didn't have a bad shipping experiance, as some you read about.
    ALL my chicks were VERY alert. But I think Ideal was 100% right on the pullets, so NOW I needto find a roo or two!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by