Chicks and yogurt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cockle-Dood, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    Gonna treat my babies to some yogurt for their evening snack tonite. I have plain yogurt and was wondering do i mix it with thier crumbles to give it some consistancy? Or maybe with their chick grit? Or do i just dollop it in a container and let them go at it?

2. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    You can mix it if you want, but you don't have to, they'll dive right it & get it all over their faces, its hilarious to watch them when they go after it. [​IMG] MUCH hilarity will insew. I haven't given my girls yogurt, but have given them cottage cheese & sour cream. [​IMG]

3. Cockle-Dood

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    I was curious about cottage cheese but went with the yogurt only because of the probiotic effect. I have a 9 mo old lil boy so alot of this works both ways, lol. His mama mixes fruit puree with cottage cheese so we always have that on hand

4. krcchickens

krcchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    Fort Lupton, Colorado
    My babies are a week old when can I give them more then chick starter and what should I start with?

5. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I see that many people give treats right away the first week of life, but from what I've read you shouldn't until about week 3. Everything they need is in their crumbles/starter and you want to make sure they are eating them really well since that will be the basis of nutrition. Treats aren't a necessity, just fun to give from what i hear.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. cntrywmnkw

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    They're way too young to start with treats yet. I wouldn't start giving them treats until they were at least 3 months old or more.

Well said, [​IMG] Yes, giving the girls (& boys) treats is fun & sometimes extremely hilarious to watch, especially when giving them spaghetti or sour cream or cottage cheese.

7. krcchickens

krcchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    Fort Lupton, Colorado
    Ok, I'll wait I figured they were to young but didn't realize 3 months was appropriate

8. Cockle-Dood

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    3 months might be a little long...surely they are out of the brooder by that age and will be scratching for themselves so their diet will change. at whatever age treats are given you have to be sure to incorperate some grit as well for digestion. TSC has grit for both adults and chicks...im sure most feed stores will as well, thats just where mine personally came from.

9. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Did you mean 3 weeks or 3 months? Most think 3 weeks is fine!! At least that's what I've been told - I'm still waiting for my chicks to arrive

10. cntrywmnkw

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    My bad!, I did mean 3 WEEKS, NOT months. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by