Chicks are 19 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Desirai, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    When do I stop turning on the heat lamp for my chicks? And when can they permanently go into the pen? I only have 12 chicks and the coop/pen is still under construction but really close to being finished. the chicks are 19 days old today :}

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    you have to keep it on until they get their feathers, and then when you turn it off, watch them and see if they huddle together or if they just roam around as normal.

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    At about 19 days old they should have the brooder temp around 85 degrees. I'd leave the lamp on all the time. Rule of thumb is to start at 95 degrees when you bring them home and then reduce the brooder temperature by 5 degrees every week until the brooder temp reaches room temp or the temp of where ever they're being housed. We keep ours in the garage and it still gets pretty cold at night so I don't anticipating removing heat for a while. Your chicks should be fully feathered before they go outside.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Mine lost there heat lamp at about a month. They were about 75% feathered. Wings,tail,back and feathers starting on their breast. Of course it depends on the temperature of where they kept also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by