Chicks are 6 weeks old finally

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mjdtexan, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Chicks are doing well. I have there hen house completed and will most likely get their chicken run completed today. They seem to love the hen house. Lots more room for them. I built the nesting boxes so that they can be checked for eggs from the outside. Built them a nice place to roost.

One thing though. I am haveing the hardest time finding "grower" feed. I can find "starter grower" and "laying feed" but not feed labled as just "grower" I have been to several feed stores. One had some feed that he said was just grower feed in a paper bag that he was selling as just "grower" and I bought it. I ordered 50 lbs of it from him and when I got it, it said "starter grower" on it. He swore it was just "grower" feed when I got the original 10 lbs off of him.

Is it the same thing or what?

Pictures today or tomorrow when I get the run done. I am BBQing a brisket right now. 225 degrees, 14 hours with my special BBQ rub.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    In our area "Grower" gets a blank stare every time. We have always raised on "Starter/Grower" to point of lay. Everything seems to do fine. Don't sweat it.

It seems that most stores in the area do not stock it during the winter. We have resorted to driving 100 miles to a local feed mill and buying in quantity.

I guess the local suppliers didn't need a customer that bad. The fun part is we are going through a lot rght now, and ended up getting it at about $3.00 a bag cheaper.

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I believe the stuff I bought also was called starter grower. I gave it to my girls until they started laying.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yum yum, brisket, think I can make it there in 14 hours?

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Takes most of that time just to cross Texas.

I am a little relieved to hear the starter grower is ok. I was going to look for just "grower" online if I got negative responses from yall on the "starter grower".

One weird thing though, every feed store had a different opinion on how the chickens should be raised. Some, said some down right silly things.

I do appreciate the responses. Thank Yall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by