Chicks are a day old and won't uncurl their heads?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cowgirl71, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have two chicks that are now a day+ old and won't uncurl their heads. They just stand around with their heads tucked under their bodies, beaks pointing to their toes. Obviously they have a hard time walking around, and also eating and drinking. My question is is this some sort of lethal gene from inbreeding, or from improper temperature or humidity during incubation, or-? I've never seen this before...

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    This might be something called wry neck. Its generally from stress. You can give them poly vi sol with no iron or any other vitamins to help. Many people have cured it with vitamins but mine died. Its really weird for both of yours to get it at the same time. What temp are they at?

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thanks! Sorry for taking a while to respond, had a busy weekend... But anyway, one of the chicks did get better, and now looks/acts completely normal. The other died. [​IMG] Oh well. I don't know what caused it. I kept the incubator temperature at 100-102 during incubation. When I took the 16 chicks out of the bator to put in their pen two had the curled under head...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by