Chicks are comming earlier than planned!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tktagalongtek, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tktagalongtek

tktagalongtek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    When I ordered my chicks (yesterday) I was told that they wouldn't arrive for 2-3 weeks......got a phone call this morning saying that they would be delivered Friday (as in 3 days from now). So now I'm in a panic---what the heck do I put them in now??? I was planning on getting a brooder built in the time I had, now that's just not gonna happen in time. I've got a big wash tub--will that work for 15 chicks while I get the brooder built? I'm thinking that it shouldn't take me more than a few days (a week at most) to get it put together, but since I can't get to the lumber yard till the paycheck comes in (a few days after the chicks arrive), I'm kinda stuck.:eek:

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    for 15 little baby chicks you can probably just use a large rubbermaid container....that was big enough for all of mine for a few weeks. That's also what I'm planning to use when I get my order in May, I'm gonna have 27 birds. They don't need too terribly much space until they start getting bigger, I had 8 babies in a tiny rubbermaid container for about 2 weeks and they were fine. They do grow quickly, so make sure you work on a bigger brooder in the meantime. I moved my 8 into a 55gal rbm container, and they're about a month old now and still have enough room. You should be good with 15 for at least 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I have a 25 x 36 inch container for the 6-8 chicks coming this week. How long do you think that should hold them? It is also about 18 inches tall.

Thanks

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    that should be plenty for at least a while....that's what, 2x3ft??? The small container I had my 8 in wasn't even that big, maybe 1.5x1.5ft. It lasted about 2 weeks, and the only reason I upgraded as soon as I did was because they were eating more and the feeder I had in there took up too much space.

6. Silverduck

Silverduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Walker County, Alabama
    I used a cardboard box that a 32" TV came in for my brooder. I hatched 17 bantams, they stayed in the box for 4 weeks. I just had to change the paper everyday. I kept them in the house. I had a clip on light that I hung over the box. My DH built a wooden stand to hang the light on. It worked perfectly. Sandy in AL

7. tktagalongtek

tktagalongtek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey, thanks! I hadn't even thought of using a rubber maid container--I've got those comming out my ears now that the bulbs are in the ground....plenty of room & a lid too to keep the dog from getting too curious....I knew someone would have a solution for me.....my brain's been off since I got that phone call.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by