Chicks are different ages // Is raising them together ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sara Monty, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Sara Monty

Sara Monty In the Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I am getting (2)Cochin Silkie cross & (2) Mottled De'uccle that will be about a week older than my 4 BSL chicks which I will be getting a week later. Is it ok to raise them together in the same brooder? Do these breeds get along well?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If they are one week apart, it might be OK...it might not.

There is no way to know until you try. I would put them together on a day where you can be home, and putter about next to where they are kept.

Watch them carefully for a few hours...and then you will know.

Sorry I can't be more helpful... But a one week difference is borderline..... Two weeks difference in age would be an obvious no.... A few days difference a clearer yes......

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sara Monty

Sara Monty In the Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Thank you!!! That is very helpful. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Aphrael

Aphrael Songster

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    You will probably be able to put them together just fine. I've put together chicks with larger age differences with no problems. HOWEVER, you should not try to mix them straighaway. The younger ones will need a chance to recover from shipping (are they being shipped?) and to become strong and agile enough to hold their own with the bigger chicks. Also, as Alaskan suggested, when you do mix them it is a good idea to do it at a time when you can monitor them and make sure everything is going smoothly. Good luck with your new chickies!

1 person likes this.
  5. CliffB

CliffB Songster

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My oldest are almost 9 weeks and my youngest are 3 weeks and 5 weeks. I have 11 birds that fall all sorts of in between. They all practically live together in a 4'x8' brooder/coop and do just fine. I actually caught my 9 week old turken walking around with my 4 week old brahma tucked under her wing like she was an adult hen and it was her chick. Also i have gotten these birds from 3 different breeders at 5 or 6 different occasions so only 5 or 6 of them are from the original group the rest have just been added as they come along.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: