1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks are dying rapidly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smileygreen64, Apr 21, 2017.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I have some chicks that are about two months old. I have had eight die in the last 24 hours. They are laying down and sort of rolling to one side. The ones that died are all on their sides when I find them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

They are in a brooder next to some week old chicks that are perfectly healthy. The only thing seperating them is chicken wire.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    hmmm well first thing that comes to mind is that maybe the new chicks could be carrying something which is why it is important to quarantine from other birds.... how are the older chicks acting? It's very odd for older chicks to just up and die like that.... whats the brooder set up?

3. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I hatched them all, so new chicks. No new adult birds either. I do have quarantine pen but it isn't anywhere close to any other birds. The brooders are basically a series of connected boxes. Wood frame wrapped with wire. I move them down the line by age. They are acting normal for the most part. Its just when they lay down they roll to one side.

4. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I got them outside and gave them all some gatorade mixed with water with a syringe. Most of them have perked up. I am going to give them some corrid and more electrolytes. I dont see any bloody stool but I dont guess it can hurt.

5. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    Are they getting different feed? It wouldn't be something wrong with the feed would it?

6. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Everyone gets the same feed. I have been googling. I think they might have gotten too hot. I took them outside under a shade tree and misted them with a water hose along with what I said in the previous post. The ones that didn't make it had some tremors. Unless anyone else has any other ideas I am assuming that was the problem. I just hate that was why because that is my fault and could have been prevented easily. Hopefully that is all that was wrong and they will be fine now.

7. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Could be heat-related, however, at that age, my first suspicion would coccidiosis. Won't hurt to treat everyone (including the week-olds) using Corid:

Corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh mixture daily

Corid 9.6% liquid is 9.5cc/ml per gallon of water (4.75cc/ml per half gallon of water for 2 quarts). Treat for 5-7 days making a fresh mixture daily.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I am going to treat with corid. They are all doing good now. I dont see any signs of cocci but a round of corid and extra electrolytes won't hurt just to be safe. Thanks for all the quick responses.

9. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by